Woman doctor

An otolaryngologist, or ear, nose, and throat doctor (ENT) is a physician that specializes in conditions and illnesses affecting the ear, nose, or throat. You may need to see an ENT or otolaryngologist if you are dealing with conditions such as chronic sinus issues, tonsillitis, hearing loss or sleep apnea. These two terms refer to the same medical specialty.

What is the difference between an ENT and an Otolaryngologist?

An ENT (ear, nose and throat) doctor and an otolaryngologist both deal with illnesses of the ear, nose, and throat. The two terms mean the same thing and are interchangeable. The only difference is that ENT is far easier to pronounce!

Highly trained medical professionals

While your primary care doctor will be able to help you with a wide range of illnesses and conditions, an ENT or otolaryngologist is a specialist in conditions affecting the ears, nose, and throat. To become an ENT, a doctor must complete five additional years of training and experience after achieving a medical degree. An ENT is board-certified in otolaryngology and continues to attend advanced medical training and attend conferences to keep up-to-date on the latest developments in the field. An Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgeon, is also different from a primary care doctor because they can perform surgery to treat surgical diseases of the head and neck. If you are suffering from an illness affecting your ears, nose, or throat, you may benefit from seeing an ENT. 

What conditions do ENTs treat?    

As highly trained medical specialists, ENTs can diagnose, manage, and treat any disorder of the ears, nose, and throat. They perform specialized surgeries such as adenoid removal, tonsillectomies, hearing aid fittings, cochlear implants and tumor removal from the head and neck. ENTs have extensive training and experience in this field. This makes them particularly skilled in treating and managing chronic or long-term conditions such as: 

  • Allergies
  • Hearing loss
  • Chronic ear infections
  • Chronic sinusitis
  • Snoring and sleep apnea

Do I need to see an ENT?

If you are experiencing any of the above conditions, an ENT will be able to correctly diagnose and treat you. You may be referred to an ENT from your primary care doctor. You can also contact an ENT directly. We urge you to contact South Florida ENT Associates to schedule an appointment if you are dealing with a problem affecting the ears, nose, or throat. If you are suffering from any of the following symptoms, an ENT may be able to help you: 

  • Acid Reflux
  • Tinnitus
  • Hearing loss
  • Sinus pain
  • Sore throat
  • Persistent nasal congestion
  • Dizziness or balancing problems
  • Swimmer’s ear
  • Nosebleeds
  • Pain in the ear
  • Hearing problems

Your initial consultation

During your first appointment, your ENT will examine you, conduct various tests and ask you questions about your symptoms. These may include a nasal exam, a neck exam, or audiometric testing or pressure testing of the eardrums for hearing or balance issues. Once the ENT has located the source of your symptoms, a treatment plan will be developed to remedy the problem in the most effective way for your unique circumstances. Depending on the condition you, your plan may include treatments such as physical therapy, medication, nutritional counseling, hearing aids, or surgery. 

Back to Blog

With 37 convenient locations across the South Florida area, we’re never far away.

Find your ENT Request Appointment
Contact us media
Accessibility: If you are vision-impaired or have some other impairment covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to using this website, please contact our Accessibility Manager at (305) 558-3724.